This weekend I made Apple Crisp Bars with Salted Caramel Drizzle after a fun morning picking apples (Cortland, Jonah Gold were in the orchard). I used the basic recipe for the topping and crust from my Blueberry Crumble Bars recipe. It worked perfectly with the apple topping. I have recently discovered the ease of making salted caramel (promise it is easy!) so I decided to top the Apple Crisp Bars with some Salted Caramel (recipe coming tomorrow I promise!).
What kinds of apples do you use to make Apple Crisp Bars with Salted Caramel Drizzle?
This time of year Cortland and Jonah Gold are available for picking in Connecticut so I used both of those. I also had a Granny Smith apple from the supermarket which I threw in for some tartness. A mix of apples will give you the most complex flavors.
Were they hard to make?
No! Remember to use cold butter for that extra crumbly texture. I also love a pinch of ground ginger and of course cinnamon. You should also line your pan with foil. That makes it easy to remove the bars and then I use a pizza cutter to cut them into squares.
What to serve with the bars?
In our house we love ice cream so we had French vanilla ice cream as a side. Whipped cream would have also been delicious and if you love chocolate I don’t see any reason why you could not serve chocolate ice cream or even drizzle a little chocolate sauce on top.
Apple Crisp Bars with Salted Caramel Drizzle
- 8 by 8 pan
- Mixing bowls
- Standard oven
- For the Apple Layer
- 4 cups 500 g apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced (about 4-5 medium apples2)
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup 50 g granulated sugar
- For the Bottom Layer & Top
- 1 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour spooned & leveled
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter cold 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons. It is very important that the butter is cold as that is what helps keep the topping crumbly.
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon of nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon of dried ginger optional
- Preheat the oven to 375F degrees. Line an 8×8 inch square baking pan with aluminium foil and grease with butter or shortening.
- In a separate large bowl whisk together the flour, 1/2 cup granulated sugar and the baking powder.
- Cut in the butter & egg yolk using a fork until the mixture is crumbly.
- Press about two thirds to three quarters of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Pour the apple mixture over top.
- To the rest of the flour mixture, stir in the brown sugar and remaining 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar.
- Crumble the remaining dough over the apple mixture using your hands to distribute on the top.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, until you see the juices from the apples and the crumble layer starting to turn golden.
- Allow to cool fully to room temperature and ideally put in the refrigerator to chill . Then lift the bars out of the pan using the aluminium foil overhang and cut into squares. I used a pizza cutter which worked well. I also let the bars warm to room temperature which really brings out the flavors.
- Make the salted caramel and while warm drizzle on top!