The Best Buffalo Chicken Dip in the Slow Cooker
Buffalo dip is everyone’s favorite dip for any tailgate or gathering. It is also great as an après ski appetizer as it is hearty and warm which is always welcome after a day on the slopes. I have tested so many Buffalo chicken dip recipes. I have perfected this one as it is the easiest and most delicious. Buffalo Chicken Dip in the slow cooker is full of tender, shredded chicken, creamy cheese and of course a bit of heat from buffalo hot sauce.
Why is this the best recipe for buffalo chicken dip?
This version is super easy to make as it uses the slow cooker to cook the chicken and to make the rest of the dip. So only one pan to clean up. The dip also tastes better warm so you can serve it right from the slow cooker. I have a mini slow cooker that I also use which makes it easier to serve on my appetizer spread. You can also make the dip ahead of time and refrigerate it. Then simply reheat it on the stove or put it back in your slow cooker. I have also frozen it and it is delicious that way too.
Serve it with some fresh tortilla chips, celery sticks and maybe some carrots too for dipping. You won’t have leftovers.
Best Buffalo Chicken Dip in Slow Cooker
- Slow cooker
- 1 8 oz block of cream cheese Cut it into smaller pieces so it will melt easily
- 1 bottle creamy Ranch dressing I use Nature's Promise organic or Hidden Valley Ranch would work too
- 2 cups Sharp cheddar Mild cheddar or even whole milk mozzarella works too
- 2 Boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup Hot sauce Frank's buffalo sauce is usually the brand I use
- 1/4 cup Blue cheese dressing This can be optional. We love blue cheese so I always add it.
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- Put chicken breasts in slow cooker and cook on high for two hours. I always check on the chicken breasts as they are cooking. If they are not cooked through you may need to increase the time. I use a thermometer to check temperature. If cooking breasts from frozen meat you will need to increase the cooking time.
- When chicken is cooked through take it out and shred with two forks. You will want a nice texture to it – not too big pieces as this will be a dip so sometimes I even chop it a bit after shredding it.
- Pour out any juices that may have accumulated in your slow cooker. I usually wipe with a paper towel too. Then add your cream cheese and turn the slow cooker back on low. As it starts to melt, add in your ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing if you are using, hot sauce, garlic powder and cheese. Stir and cook on low for another 20 minutes or so.
- When the mixture is bubbling on the outside, add back in your shredded chicken. Cook on low for about 45 minutes.
- Stir and taste. If you like it hotter, add more hot sauce in small increments (I keep tasting at this point). If it is too hot, you can add more dressing.
- Top with chopped green onion or parsley if you like. Sometimes I sprinkle on blue cheese crumbles too at this point. The dip can be served from the slow cooker directly (it is best warm) or reheated in the microwave. We always serve with tortilla chips, celery and carrot slices.